Monday, October 24, 2011

I told you I have a love affair with chairs...

This Louis XVI style chair is a great example of how easy it is to utterly transform something hideous into something gorgeous.  I found this chair with pink velour upholstery and pickled wood at my favorite antiques shop in my sister's little town of Hillsboro, KS.  It was so ugly that I purchased it for only $20, knowing full well that it had great potential!  Before I purchased it however, I made sure I knew how to remove the seat, back and arm pieces so I could reupholster them.  Thankfully, all pieces come out very easily either by unscrewing several screws or simply prying the back pieces off.  I painted the chair white, and this khaki fabric is actually the second fabric I've had on it.  When I first purchased this several years ago, I put a blue/gold striped fabric on it to match my living room.  The moment I used that fabric I knew it didn't do the piece justice.   When I recovered it just this past weekend, I knew I finally had a perfect match!  Fabric choices are so important.  Wrap the pieces needing to be reupholstered in the fabric and place on chair before you actually reupholster it, so you can get a good idea of what it's going to look like.  Then the only tools you'll need are scissors and a good staple gun!
As a side note, my husband and I hauled both this chair and it's almost twin (see one of my earlier posts) out to a hiking trail for a family photo shoot today.  It was so much fun to have these unique chairs out in the woods - can't wait to see the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment