Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Scale and placement

When I first saw this mirror I thought 'French brothel.'  Come on, admit it, so did you!  But I absolutely love it and thought it would make a great addition to my mirror collection.  Boy was I wrong!  This 4 foot tall extremely chunky mirror completely overshadowed not only my entire mirror collection, but also any piece of furniture I tried to put it over in my dining room.  I was almost resigned to putting it on the ceiling in my bedroom (just kidding!) when I tried it in my living room.  I'm working on a complete living room redo, and had just emptied out one corner of the room.  Which means there was no furniture in that corner at all.  My living room definitely needs a statement, and this mirror was perfect!  I put it above a curvy, low, wide desk and it doesn't overpower.  This mirror definitely just needed it's own space and wanted to be the center of attention!
The moral of the story is - you can't just put things in your house without paying attention to their size and presence.  If it looks a little odd to you, it's guaranteed to look odd to everyone else!  Pull furniture and accessories together into vignettes, always making sure their size and style go well together.  Notice how I've paired a simple narrow chair and lamp to go with the chunky frame and wide desk.  They help to even eachother out, so nothing can become too overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment