Sunday, November 27, 2011

Memo Board Makeover

Oh, how I wish I had a 'before' photo of this project!  I've always had a memo board hanging on the side of our refrigerator.  The original one was basically a piece of corkboard covered in red and gold fabric with ribbon criss-crossing it.  Oh, how 2002!  It was so covered in photos, that I guess I never noticed how much the fabric didn't even match my kitchen - I mean, gold???  So, when it actually fell off the fridge last week, I decided it was time for a makeover.
All the photos came off - most I tossed.  Unsentimental, I know - but we'll be getting lots of new ones soon as friends and family send out new Christmas photos!  I couldn't rip the fabric off any faster, and then I had my clean slate.  A too-plain clean slate, I decided, so I realized it needed a frame.  Fortunately, frames are always easy to come by at my house.  I dug this one out, spraypainted it aqua (what have I said about the convenience of keeping cans of spray paint around the house??!!), cut the corkboard to fit it - and I started to get excited!  Then I found some burlap fabric, covered the corkboard, stuck it inside the frame and I was ready to go.  I used some Scrabble tile tacks that I made last year (simply glued the tiles to tacks) to hang some favorite family photos back up and it was complete!  I've resolved to keep less photos on it, so the cute burlap can show through. 
You might be thinking - how did she attach that to her refrigerator?  I hot-glued it.  Yep - hot glue solves all kinds of problems.  It hasn't fallen down yet!  And I figure when it does, it'll be ready for another makeover!

No comments:

Post a Comment