Sunday, September 25, 2011

My chair fetish

I have a problem with chairs - I love them too much and have way too many.  We were in the process of packing up the moving van many years ago and my husband decided to count how many chairs we had - 36!  And this was for a family of 4.  Embarrassing.  Since then, I've tried to put strict controls on the chairs I have in my home.  My new rule is:  if I bring a chair in the house, another one has to go out.  When I found this chair at a secondhand shop, I loved the white paint (of course), but it was upholstered in a pink and blue fabric - think 80s.   My initial thought was to sell it through my antiques business, but I even told my sister I wasn't sure I could get rid of it.  And now that I've recovered it in a khaki fabric, I can't.  It now sits in my living room, having displaced a gorgeous, 100-year old leather chair with stamps marked "U.S. Department of the Treasury."  That chair will now be found at my next antiques sale!  And now my plan is to reupholster another similar white chair I have and place the matching pair in my living room.  For the love of chairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment