Thursday, September 1, 2011

No toilets in this yard!

Just about anything can be turned into a planter.  I've had much fun over the years turning unexpected objects into everyday outdoor planters.  They've ranged from wooden toolboxes to tin pails to galvanized washtubs to metal watering cans to toilets - just kidding about that last one.  You will NEVER find a toilet in my front yard with flowers sprouting out of it!  Although I do have to say, my last neighbor proudly had two in her yard.  Sigh.  You should be quite proud of me that I didn't say anything snotty to her about it!
Back to tasteful planters...this one shown in the photo is just a plain old wooden box.  Already wonderfully roughed up, all I had to do was drill a few holes in the bottom.  Always be sure to do this for proper drainage, then lightly cover the holes with rocks before you add soil.  Since this is obviously a very shallow container, be sure to add mulch to the top and water frequently to maintain good moisture.  As fall is approaching, take the opportunity to hunt around for an unused container at your house to turn into a planter that would look great with pansies in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment