Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Decorating a Mantel

I know a lot of people struggle with decorating a fireplace mantel.  When we moved into our home a couple years ago, I was so excited to actually have a mantel to decorate!  Mine is unique in that a mirror is actually built into a slight inset into the wall above the mantel.  Not my favorite look, but I worked with it.  I think the most important thing about decorating a mantel is adding objects of varying heights and widths.  Also, try to coordinate the colors of the objects so they look like they belong together.  I stuck with a color scheme of whites/creams/browns, then added a splash of red so it wouldn't get too boring.  Candles and candleholders are a great way to add varying height.  I also layered the backdrop, leaning a leaded window against the mirror, then 2 sepia toned canvas prints in front of it.  All together this gave my mantle a calm, sophisticated tone.  If you're looking for a warmer or more funky look, add more variances in heights, shapes and colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment