Saturday, August 13, 2011

Flowers...

I'm sure by now I've mentioned that I love flowers.  And they don't need to be heirloom roses...wild flowers growing by the side of the highway have made my heart skip a beat many times.  My absolute favorite thing about spring and summer is having flowers regularly in my house cut from my garden.  Although the word garden might be stretching it -how about flower beds.  I love having flowers in front of my house, but actually working to get them blooming is definitely not my favorite thing to do.  Which is why I only have perennials in my flower beds so I can put them in once and basically forget about them for years to come (with the occasional pruning and relocating of course).
When the flowers make it into the house, I love to display them.  But, I very rarely display cut flowers in a crystal vase.  If they are in a crystal vase, then that vase is usually tucked inside some other kind of container.  Like an ironstone pitcher (as shown above), a pedestal bowl, sap bucket, galvanized tub, teacup, bowl, and on and on.  Just setting wild flowers in a mason jar is one of my favorite arrangements.  Displaying flowers with this simple method makes a statement, helps the flowers look more natural, and just seems more homey.  Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment