Sunday, August 21, 2011

If at first you don't succeed..

This beautiful frame with horse print hangs in my daughter's room.  I absolutely love the chunky vintage frame, and, quite honestly, it was very hard for me to put it in her room instead of just keep it for myself! 
This looks great now, but came only through a long process of trial and error.  My daughter loves horses, so we purchased this print which was twice the size that it is now and in an ugly frame.  I painted the frame sage green and hung it on her wall.  It was huge and ugly and we weren't sure what to do about it.  My sister even made a comment about how ugly it was!  Shortly after, we decided to paint my daughter's room.  Yes, I realize this wall is bright pink, but the other 3 walls are robin's egg blue, so it doesn't look no nauseating when you see the whole room.  After her room was painted, her sage green framed horse picture really didn't match, so we had to come up with another idea.  I found this $5 frame in a thrift store and inspiration was born!  I painted the frame the same color as the other blue walls in her room.  Then, very sneakily I waited until she was at school one day, and cut the horse picture to match the new frame.  She NEVER would have allowed me to do this had she known.  This is why I have to do these things on the sly.  Anyway, I tucked the new version of the horse print into the frame and Voila!  A new picture was born!  It looks so fabulous on her new walls, and she has never said anything about it being half the size it once was.  Every once in a while, however, I do sneak into her room and gaze at the frame...hoping one day she'll grow out of her horse phase and decide she doesn't need it anymore.  Then I can toss the print and frame something for my room! 
This story is very common in my home.  My projects don't always turn out the way I envisioned them.  I can't even begin to count how many ugly things I've made and put in my home over the years.  But I am proud to say I learn from my mistakes, and my decorating mistakes happen less and less.  Try, try again...

No comments:

Post a Comment