Thursday, August 11, 2011

Unique Decor - don't be afraid of it!


Speaking of maps and globes, I just had to share a photo of this wooden, hand-carved globe I found yesterday at a thrift shop!  It is an extremely unique piece, with the placenames hand-written on it.  I have never seen anything like this!  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or sell it, but I love it because it would add an element of interest to any home.  Don't be afraid to display a quirky, unique, one-of-a-kind item in your home.  It will be a talking piece for your guests and shows your individuality!   Some unique decor in my home include a bowl of colored sea glass, a bleached deer skull and antlers, a compote filled with shells from favorite beaches, old tin ceiling tiles, and a painted swedish-syle grandfather clock.  All of these items have a story behind them and have been commented on many times when people visit my home, every time accompanied by the comment "I never would have thought to do that!"  That is the ultimate compliment to me!  Decorating your home can get so boring and common.  It's much more fun and interesting to surprise your guests with unique decor!
So, find those unique treasures you've hidden away because you weren't sure what to do with them, dust them off, and proudly show them off!  Just see how many compliments you get!
While I'm at it, I also added a photo of the map I mentioned in my last blog that hangs on my son's wall.  Simple to put up (tacked paper map to wall, then bolted pieces of barnwood straight to the wall on top of it) and endless fun for an imaginative little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment